Career Services and Retention Specialist
The HOPE Program lifts New Yorkers out of poverty through training, jobs, and career advancement.
Sustainable South Bronx (“SSBx”) is The HOPE Program’s green jobs training program. SSBx prepares low-income New York City residents aged eighteen and up for jobs in the “green collar” sector. SSBx is a twelve-week training program focused on green construction, building operations and maintenance, and home energy performance. Additionally, SSBx offers an extensive job readiness curriculum that trains individuals who are seeking a fresh start and who have been unemployed for a significant period, who are under-employed, or who possess limited work experience. We seek a dynamic Career Services & Retention Specialist who will be a key member of the SSBx team.
We are seeking a dynamic, energetic professional with at least two years of experience working with economically disadvantaged young adults and adults; a demonstrated ability to succeed in a performance-driven environment; excellent organizational and communication skills (oral and written); computer and Internet research proficiency; outgoing personality. Must be a strong team player. College degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Experience in young adult workforce development or related issues preferred. Current list of potential employers preferred.
- Develop and implement new marketing strategies to seek new business partners while maintaining relationships with current employers.
- Research potential job opportunities for SSBx students; work closely with HOPE’s Business Development Manager to place SSBx grads into jobs.
- Develop employment opportunities and relationships with employers; maintain communication regarding interviews, hiring, follow-up retention, and documentation for reporting to Program Director. Secure employment verifications and provide follow-up retention services to consumers and employers.
- Design and facilitate workshops to teach topics in areas including life skills, team building, workforce skills, work ethics, and career development.
- Organize educational and recreational alumni events.
- Create and adjust job readiness curriculum instructional modules, methodologies, and assessments to meet students’ needs. Set up and arrange modules and assessments in appropriate instructional sequence.
- Prepare forms and reports related to placement activities; track participant demographics, employment activity and job retention.
- Search for job opportunities through job search engines and from business contacts
- Counsel students and graduates of SSBx on career goals and decisions.
- Work with participants on employment preparation activities such as editing draft resumes and mock interviews; provide job coaching on issues such as networking, marketing oneself, communication and related topics.
- Inform students of potential job opportunities, follow up for job deadlines, and provide other retention services.
- Maintain a caseload of current cohorts and past graduates (at a level to be determined by the SSBx Director).
- Maintain retention track of students (3 months, 6 months, and 1 year) and document in Salesforce database.
- Conduct individual counseling sessions with SSBx students and alumni.
- Prepare and present brief fact sheets and written reports summarizing research results on green collar jobs and educational trends in instruction and classroom management.
- Remain informed of latest labor market trends including occupational projections and projected job growth in various industry sectors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications: A degree in counseling and/or business. At least 2+ years of experience in career counseling and/or business development. Knowledgeable in the construction and building maintenance industry.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is dependent upon experience. The HOPE Program provides a full package of benefits including: healthcare and dental insurance; retirement plan; competitive vacation (plus 1/2 day Fridays during summer which is equal to 7.5 additional vacation days); personal and bonus days; and 12 paid holidays.
Interested Candidates: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes unaccompanied by a cover letter will not be reviewed. No telephone calls, please.
The HOPE Program and Sustainable South Bronx are equal opportunity employers.