Green Building & Construction Instructor for SSBx: Part-Time
The HOPE Program (HOPE) has a 32-year track record of successfully transforming lives by empowering New Yorkers living in poverty to achieve economic self-sufficiency through employment and advancement. HOPE is an outcomes-focused organization. Our student-centered approach, employer-driven training, wide range of support services, and commitment to lifelong support yield strong results, notably a job placement rate of 72% and retention rates of 91% at 90 days and 74% at one-year. At HOPE we are focused on expanding our impact and positioning ourselves for growth while continuing to enhance the quality of our services and build upon our successful outcomes. Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx), a subsidiary of HOPE, was founded in 2001. SSBx is dedicated to preparing low-income individuals for jobs in the growing green collar sector. Connected to SSBx is Intervine – SSBx’s social enterprise.
SSBx prepares low-income New York City residents between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five for jobs in the “green collar” sector. The training is a twelve-week program conducted three times a year focused on green construction, building operations and maintenance, and home energy performance. Additionally, the program offers an extensive job readiness curriculum that trains individuals who are seeking a fresh start and who have been unemployed for a significant period, who are under-employed, or who possess limited work experience. We seek a dynamic Green Building & Construction Instructor (GBCI) who will be a key member of the SSBx instructional team.
The GBCI is responsible for the successful development and implementation of the green construction and building operations training curriculum. The GBCI will develop and implement a course of instruction that will introduce students to green concepts and practices as they relate to the fields of construction, building operations and maintenance, and residential and commercial energy efficiency. This position reports directly to the Director of SSBx.
- Provide quality instruction in the areas of building science and building performance, construction math, construction basics, construction drawings, lighting retrofit, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), basic plumbing, electrical and carpentry.
- Prepare lesson plans and delivering instruction through innovative methods that are hands-on and project-based.
- Identify and prepare instructional materials that will enhance student learning and are relevant to the fields in which SSBx students will be seeking employment.
- Maintain an accurate record of student grades.
- Provide appropriate educational and career counseling to students.
- Oversee one instructor and supervise instructional curriculum and materials.
- Maintain a safe and positive classroom environment.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction or a related field or extensive experience in construction.
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) certification in one or more specialty.
- Knowledge of retrofits, green building design and construction, green infrastructure.
- Experience teaching students of different skill levels the subjects of construction and basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing. Knowledge of building science and Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC).
- Ability to work with and motivate adults of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft products.
- Very detail-oriented, well-organized and able to work on multiple activities simultaneously.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is dependent upon experience. This position is located in the Bronx, NY.
Interested Candidates: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com, resumes unaccompanied by a cover letter will not be reviewed. No telephone calls, please. HOPE/SSBx is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HOPE is Robin Hood-funded and holds the Better Business Bureau Seal of Approval. Read more about our work at www.thehopeprogram.org and www.ssbx.org.
Senior finance manger: full-time
The HOPE Program (HOPE) has a 32-year track record of successfully transforming lives by empowering New Yorkers living in poverty to achieve economic self-sufficiency through employment and advancement. HOPE is an outcomes-focused organization. Our student-centered approach, employer-driven training, wide range of support services, and commitment to lifelong support yield strong results, notably a job placement rate of 72% and retention rates of 91% at 90 days and 74% at one-year. At HOPE we are focused on expanding our impact and positioning ourselves for growth while continuing to enhance the quality of our services and build upon our successful outcomes. Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx), a subsidiary of HOPE, was founded in 2001. SSBx is dedicated to preparing low-income individuals for jobs in the growing green collar sector. Connected to SSBx is SmartRoofs, LLC – SSBx’s social enterprise.
HOPE is seeking a dynamic, energetic professional who is extremely detailed oriented, self-driven financial manager. This position is a member of the Finance Team and reports directly to the CFOO. The Finance Team supports two non-profits and a Social Enterprise across two offices in Brooklyn and in the Bronx. This position provides direction for our accounting needs, contributes to the development of a strong team and partners with our Executive Director and Senior Management Team to ensure that our financial systems and processes support them in achieving targets for growth.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis in accordance with GAAP, as well as provide ongoing financial information to the Executive Director, members of the Senior Management Team and Board to inform decision-making.
- Distribute departmental budgets and oversee monthly meetings with Directors to review Budget to Actual.
- Ensure accurate general ledger coding for all P&L and balance sheet items.
- Manage and forecast cash flow.
- Manage semi-monthly payroll including deductions for retirement savings program and benefits; support the plan administration of the retirement savings plan.
- Leadership of financial planning/analysis to support key operational decisions.
- Maintain existing annual audit/control procedures and implement new controls as needed; coordinate all tax filings, including filing of Form 990 and CHAR500.
- Partner with Government Grants Administrator in the production of budgets to ensure compliance with grants from Federal and Local Government; perform grants accounting, create vouchers and monitor usage of funds (i.e. SNAP, SBS).
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Set up allocations for salaries and overhead expenses at the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Process invoices, allocate expenses to the proper GL accounts and department, follow up with vendors and resolve discrepancies in a timely manner. Perform vendor maintenance in online expense processing system. Record loan and stipend checks for students.
- Process payments, produce statements of accounts, collections on overdue accounts and account reconciliation when required. Perform customer maintenance in enterprise accounting system.
- Process bank deposits and bank reconciliations as well as managing associated bank entries.
- Verify expenses are within the company guidelines, correct errors, question abnormal expenses, and enter expenses into the accounting system.
- Communicate with staff to obtain supporting documentation for reconciliation of company credit cards.
- Update internal training guides and procedure manuals.
- Perform Month End Close including oversight of metro card/target card inventory, review of accrued and prepaid expenses.
- Perform filing and records retention.
- Petty Cash reconciliation.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- CPA required.
- Deep functional knowledge of day-to-day financial and accounting management for non-profits; understanding of the financial needs of a social enterprise is a plus.
- Ability to switch between multiple priorities and to function in fast paced environment across two office locations and multiple business needs.
- Knowledge of Fund E-Z non-profit accounting software is a plus.
Valued skill sets:
- A commitment to our mission.
- Ability to identify errors on large spreadsheets/models and ability to dig into the data to understand the source of the errors.
- Ability to identify when a process needs to be implemented, changed or left alone.
- Intellectual curiosity and strategic thinking.
- Capacity to take the initiative without being asked.
- Driven to getting the end-result on/before deadline and with exceptional accuracy.
- Possession of both a “big picture” understanding of the role of the finance function while simultaneously being comfortable digging into the details of the business.
- Comfort in an entrepreneurial environment that seeks to implement new processes and enjoys the challenge of growing a business.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience required to support change throughout our organization.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is dependent upon experience. HOPE provides a full package of benefits including: healthcare and dental insurance; retirement plan; competitive vacation (plus 1/2 day Fridays during summer which is equal to 7.5 additional vacation days); personal and bonus days; and 12 paid holidays.
Interested Candidates: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Resumes unaccompanied by a cover letter will not be reviewed. No telephone calls, please.
HOPE is Robin Hood-funded and holds the Better Business Bureau Seal of Approval. Read more about our work at www.thehopeprogram.org and www.ssbx.org.
The HOPE Program and Sustainable South Bronx are equal opportunity employers.